With our Moving Checklist you’ll have a stress-free move
The moving process will always be easier if you organize everything well in advance. If you don’t know what specific steps to take to get ready for your move, we can help you with our moving checklist that will keep everything in order. We know that every move is different, but hopefully these suggestions can point you in the right direction to make your moving experience less stressful.
TWO MONTHS BEFORE
- Book your air tickets if they are required.
- Start looking for professional moving companies.
- Make sure that you and your family have valid passports.
- If you have children, inform their school that you will be moving and ask them to transfer the relevant information or certificates.
- Ask your doctors, vet, and dentist for family and pet medical records.
- If you want to sell something such as a car or any specialized equipment, put it on the market.
SIX WEEKS BEFORE
- Confirm the date of your moving day.
- Go through your entire house and select the things that you can donate or sell. Try to keep only the things that you really need.
- Do some research on your new neighborhood. It’s important that you create a bond with your new area so that you’ll feel more comfortable when you arrive.
- Organize the supplies that you’ll need for packing and wrapping such as tape, wrapping paper, etc.
- Notify utility companies of your departure.
- Always keep in touch with your moving company – communication is the key to achieving a perfect move.
- Change your address.
FOUR WEEKS BEFORE
- Start packing the items that you don’t use often, like art pieces, ornaments etc.
- Label every box that you packed with a number and the room that it belongs to.
- Create a list of the contents of each box.
- Change your address at your local post office.
- Call doctors and dentists – they may be able to recommend a colleague in your new area.
TWO WEEKS BEFORE
- Organize important documents such as passports, contracts, etc. Is important that you carry them with you because you may need them during the moving process.
- Plan to discard or use most of the food items that you have in your fridge.
- Arrange with your boss to be free on your moving day.
- If you are going to travel, make your reservations for the trip.
- Reconfirm the arrangements with your moving company to be sure that everything is planned according to your schedule.
- Arrange connection of utilities in your new home.
- Start cleaning your old home.
ONE WEEK BEFORE
- If you yet haven’t packed all your belongings, it’s time to finish with the packing and wrapping process.
- Reconfirm travel reservations.
- Pack all your electronics. Disconnect and mark all wires and cables for an easier assembly.
- Set aside important items that you’ll take in your car such as medicines, documents, snacks, etc.
- Start packing suitcases.
- Make sure that you have the contact information of your moving company.
- Wake up early – you will have a stressful day, so you should be fresh and alert.
- Verify that your cell phone is charged.
- Check your entire house to ensure you don’t leave anything behind.
- Make sure that you have the payment ready for the moving company.
- Leave a note with your new address in case of stray mail.
- Make sure that you have a bag with any essential items.
- Turn off all the lights before you leave and lock the door.
- Take a moment to be grateful for all the memories that you’ve made in your home and get ready to start a new chapter in your life.